Database Engineer/Lead Technical Manager
Permanent positions based in Swansea. These roles may attract a DigiTec allowance of up to £15k depending a number of factors including specific grade, skills and experience.
SEO - £37,428 to £42,991
G7 = £49,835 to £60,649 depending on skills and experience
(Salaries awarded will depend on skills and experience and the level of position applied for).
Would you like the opportunity to contribute to the development and support of new DVLA IT services? If so, our Database Engineer/Lead Technical Manager role will provide the challenge you are looking for.
We are looking for Database Engineers to help build world class digital services where you'll be part of a team delivering both service excellence and agile change. You will be supporting the programme that migrates legacy technology onto new, cloud-based platforms that shape and deliver up to 50 projects of varying size, risk and complexity paving the way for the future business and service transformation.
2017 is going to be an exciting year in DVLA IT Services where we are continuing the major transformation of our legacy estate utilising an in-house developed and supported set of services. Our services will have the reach to every household in the UK, the size and scale would be the envy of any UK ecommerce service provider, so it will be a fabulous opportunity to make a difference for us and for you.
You will have the opportunity to:-
- Demonstrate knowledge of a technical Database specialism
- Analyse and resolve service delivery issues
- Work on your own initiative
- Follow and/or contribute to the development of documented processes
- Monitor technology performance and identify opportunities to improve it – continual improvement ethos
- Facilitate small and large changes – working alongside DVLA’s Architecture community
- Develop and maintain good relationships with stakeholders across the business
- Develop own skills and actively coach and develop others
- Develop an understanding of DVLA's services
- Working collaboratively within a team structure supporting and learning from other team members mentoring junior Database engineers
- Supporting the standardisation of documentation
- Substantial experience in database administration, development and support using multiple recognised database technologies with the drive and willingness to learn new technologies
- Experience in leading or supporting the design, development, testing, and quality assurance of bespoke databases throughout the lifecycle using recognised technologies
- Excellent analytical skills and with excellent written communication skills including reports, and technical specifications
- Ability to communicate effectively to customers at all levels of the business
- The ability to demonstrate the competencies to rapidly acquire the skills in another database technology
- Experience in system support and continuous improvement
- Experience in MongoDB and Oracle or SQLServer databases
If you are interested in making an application, please email your CV which demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the above essential criteria. You will then be contacted by Experis who will issue further instructions about the application process.
Following this, an initial sift of your CV will be conducted against the essential criteria, if demonstrated you will be contacted to arrange telephone interview. The final stage of the process will be an interview and assessment.
The interview will consist of a range of question types. These could include questions about your strengths or how you may respond in any particular situation as well as specific examples of things you have done.
We expect the role will be open for applications for up to 4 weeks with candidates being assessed throughout this period.